Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year, everyone!

>


by Ken

People are saying a lot of mean things about 2009, so let me just point out that never in the history of mankind has it been possible to choose from so many YouTube clips of "Auld Lang Syne."

Of course they're mostly pretty horrible. To the extent that I was briefly tempted, in the course of my search (during which I seemed constantly under pursuit by Kenny G -- is there some link I'm not aware of between Kenny G and New Year's?), by a karaoke version blasting with distortion (good idea, problematic execution) and even, yes, by André Rieu (I mean this at least initially rather sweet version, not this really tacky one).

Not wishing to be still searching as the ball drops, I settled on a trusty old-timer -- first part kind of over-syrupy, but then it really digs in.



Of course you can still do the karaoke thing. I'm sure Guy won't mind. (What do you figure the chances are there's anyone alive who participated in that recording? Actually, it usually turns out that there are survivors, so let me say that if you did play with Guy, on that or any other occasion, and have memories to share -- in particular New Year's-related ones -- we'd be happy to hear 'em.)
AULD LANG SYNE

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you'll buy your pint cup !
and surely I'll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine ;
But we've wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine† ;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

And there's a hand my trusty friend !
And give us a hand o' thine !
And we'll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

[Note: I make no claim for accuracy or authenticity, since this was simply stolen off of HuffPost -- except that I've respaced to what I think they meant. By the way, they've also got, in addition to this English translation, the Scottish original, which I assume is actual Robert Burns. I wasn't reading all that carefully, and one thing I've never aspired to be is a scholar of "Auld Lang Syne," or Robbie B, for that matter. I guess that's two things.]

Anyway, a safe and healthy and productive as well as Happy New Year to all our friends, old and new, from Howie and Noah and me, and of course all the little people behind the scenes at DownWithTyranny.
#

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Bil said...

Thank YOU KenI, Happy New Years to YOU ALL and your exceedingly large "staffs".

Where is Adam, speaking of another large staff? I miss his Great Art.

Your many fans are out here KenI, and I, apologies in advance as an old Howie Rocker, wanted to thank you for ALL the wonderful music you shared from dead musicians this year and pass on a little 2008 New Years Les Claypool with Zappa doing Zappa and a Whamola. Always nice to learn a new instrument?

Party on...and you're welcome:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYaub5Y2gSI

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Distributorcap said...

things have just not been the same since old Guy Lombardo left us......

happy new year

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger KenInNY said...

I'm sure our Adam will be thrilled to be remembered, Bil. Getting art out of him is a purely Howie skill, however.

Cheers,
Ken

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Bil said...

Also NICE stolen recording.

THAT is the rare and sought after Zenith Cobra-matic double-eyed black snake Cobra tonearm. I got one WITH an extra stylus yet in a funky blonde cabinet for $8. Works GREAT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home